Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Day 35: Chick Pea and Vegetable Stew

A repeat performer from Day 11. I chose it then to use up some turnips - same reason today - there are still quite a few of them in the refrigerator. I used the same recipe. I didn't have any vegetable stock so I used water and 2 teaspoons of verdurette (see my post from Day 1). I used Israeli cous cous again. This is a very tasty stew and the best way I've found so far to sneak in a few turnips. Next time, I think I will use a bit more verdurette and a bit more crushed red pepper. A little squeeze of lemon adds brightness to the flavors. There was some complaining that you cannot tell the potatoes from the turnips (until you bite into them) so you can't avoid the turnips unless you are willing to give up the potatoes as well - exactly! The consensus was that it is a very tasty dish in spite of (who knows, maybe because of) the turnips.

No comments:

Post a Comment