Saturday, January 1, 2011

Day 52: New Year's Eve dinner

I made salmon for the family and a veggie burger for me. We had roasted yukon gold potatoes (S. cut them into rather small pieces and tossed them with olive oil and we roasted them at 400 F) and some green beans from the freezer that I had frozen whole - and they were a lovely shade of green. I like green beans best in the summer when you can eat them raw or just barely cooked and they crunch. These were not crisp, having been frozen, but they retained their wonderful flavor.

For a special New Year's Eve Dessert, I took some strawberries out of the freezer (from when I went to Alstede's and picked a huge box of them back in May) and sliced them when they were just barely defrosted. I cooked 1/2 of a sheet of puff pastry, cut it in thirds, then split each piece into top and bottom. I put some strawberries on the bottom piece, topped them with a little whipped cream then the other piece of pastry. I melted about 1/3 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and drizzled that over the top, then a dab more of whipped cream and one strawberry half - they were quite pretty - I should have taken a picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment