Family Favorite and another quick supper. D. is practicing his cooking skills before leaving for graduate school. this is one of his favorite dishes. We had some broccoli in the share this week too.
I large head of broccoli, cut into florets - size up to you - we like them about 1 inch
1-2 bags of frozen cavatelli
4-8 cloves of garlic (we used lovely fresh garlic from the farm market)
salt & pepper
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
How to do it
1. Put a pot of water big enough to hold the broccoli up to boil
2. While the water is heating: peel and slice the garlic - or cut each clove into quarters
then put the garlic in a heavy saute pan with some olive oil - we use very little - 2 tablespoons or so - but you can use 1/4 cup or more - cook over medium heat until the garlic is soft and golden brown
3. While the garlic is cooking - cut up the broccoli - and when the water boils throw it in the pot for 3-4 minutes - until it is bright green and still a little crisp
4. scoop the broccoli out of the water with a slotted spoon and add it to the pan with the garlic and oil - turn off the heat on that pan - keep the water boiling
5. add the frozen cavatelli to the boiling water and cook 5-7 minutes. While it is cooking, grate the Parmesan cheese.
6. Drain the pasta - but reserve 1 cup of cooking water - add cavetelli to the broccoli, garlic and oil
6. Stir in some cheese, add pasta water to moisten - especially if you are not using a lot of oil
We keep the cheese and grater on the table for a little extra on each dish.