Friday, July 8, 2011

150: Excellent Veggie Burgers!

Had some friends over for a barbecue, told them all they could bring something to grill if they wanted meat, but everyone went veggie for the day. Luckily, I made a big batch (double recipe) of these very tasty burgers from a Guy Fieri recipe. There are a lot of ingredients in this recipe - but all of my meat-eating friends seemed to think they were very tasty.


Ingredients

2 ounces olive oil (I used 1 tablespoon)
  • about 1/2 red onion diced
  • about 1/2 can diced black olives (I used regular canned black olives)
  • diced red bell peppers (I used 1/2 a red bell pepper and 3 pieces of roasted pepper from a jar)
  • 1 teaspoon diced jalapeno (lost the jalapeno somewhere between the produce department and unpacking the bags - used 1/2 green bell pepper and cayenne instead)
  • 3 tablespoons diced garlic
  • diced artichoke (I used 1 small jar of marinated artichoke hearts for a double recipe - not the marinade - just the artichokes)
  • 1 can black beans, drained
  • 1 can chickpeas, drained
  • 2 cans white beans, drained
  • about 1/2 cup rolled oats - add more it mixture is too wet to form patties
  • 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 3 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery salt ( I cut this in half - the burgers were still a little salty)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground sage (didn't have any on hand)
  • 5-6 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
  • 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
  • Directions

    In a medium saute pan over medium heat, add 1 tbs olive oil and all raw vegetables except beans. Saute until translucent. Remove and cool.
    I zapped the olives, roasted red pepper, and artichoke hearts in the food processor, then added all but one can of white beans (I made a double recipe, so I used 1 can each of type of beans, then added a second can of white beans because I thought there were too many veggies). I transferred this to a bowl. then added the sauteed vegetables, and the dry ingredients along with the egg. Thoroughly mix all ingredients.
    I made about 16 good sized patties from this mixture, put them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and popped them in the freezer for an hour or so. I cooked some on the grill (used a grill pan) and some in a pan. I brushed the patties with olive oil to keep them from sticking..
    In saute pan add 1-ounce olive oil, and cook patties 2 to 3 minutes per side.

No comments:

Post a Comment