Friday, July 8, 2011

Pasta with Carmelized Onions, Green Beans, Fresh Corn & Jalapeno

This is one of my FAVORITE summer recipes. It is adapted from a Fall 2008 edition of a magazine called The Best of Fine Cooking Fresh. There were some really green green beans in this week's CSA share, and I got some early local corn at the Blairstown Farmer's Market - and when you have good green beans - this is the dish to make!
 Ingredients:
1 tsp olive oil
2 cups thinly sliced onion (original recipe calls for sweet onion- I use whatever I have)
1 1b orecchiette (little ears) pasta
1/2 lb green beans - trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces (I use whatever quantity I have on hand)

1 cup fresh corn kernels - from about 2 ears

1 jalapeno, halved lengthwise, cored, seeded, and sliced thinly crosswise ( I used 1/2 tonight - but it could have used the whole pepper)

freshly ground black pepper
salt
grated Pecorino Romano (I used Parmesan tonight because that is what I have)

1/4 cup copped fresh parsley (original recipe calls for flat leaf)

Start the pasta water boiling - use a large pot and salt the water. cook the onions in the oil in a skillet on med high until they start to soften and brown - takes about 5 minutes - then lower the heat to medium and keep cooking until they get really brown - about 15 minutes.
Cook the pasta about 9 minutes, then add the green beans for the last minute of cooking time. While the pasta is cooking - add the corn and Jalapeno to the onions and cook about 3-5 minutes - add a pinch of salt.
Save some cooking water - I save about 1 cup - from the pasta, thendrain the pasta and beans, add them to the pan with the onions, corn & Jalapeno, stir in the pasta water a little at a time and cook, stirring, until the beans are crisp-tender - about 2-3 minutes. Add more pasta water to moisten. Stir in the parsley and season to taste with salt & pepper.

Serve in warm, pasta bowls topped with shredded cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment