Sunday, July 10, 2011

Veggie Burgers and Kholrabi Salad

I worked all day today and it was pretty hot and humid when I came home, so we wanted a simple supper that didn't take long to cook or generate much heat. I had frozen a few burgers from the Guy Fieri recipe I made a few days ago ( a note about that - I froze this batch before I cooked them and when I took them out of the freezer tonight and browned them in the pan, the stayed a little softer (mushier) than I like, The batch that I cooked first and then froze had a much nicer texture when re-heated).
I sauteed some button mushrooms and a small yellow onion in 1 tsp olive oil to top the burgers - they were still incredibly tasty even though they were a little mushy.
We made the Kholrabi Salad from a recipe on Epicurious.com (my favorite recipe site) - with some modifications.WE had one small Kholrabi bulb so we made a smaller salad.
Ingredients
  • 1/42 cup heavy cream

  • 1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

  • 1/2 tablespoon coarse-grained mustard

  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves

  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar

  • 1 kohlrabi bulb peeled and cut into julienne strips

  • 1 Granny Smith apple - seeded and diced (we did not peel it)

  • In a bowl whisk the cream until it holds soft peaks, it doesn't take very long. then whisk in the lemon juice, the mustard, the parsley, the sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the kohlrabi strips and the apple, peeled, cored, and diced, and combine the salad well.

    We also had our first Donaldson's Farm Market corn of the season at this meal - just picked and sweet as sugar. I hear people are buying corn at the supermarket, but I can't imagine why..


    For dessert - Donaldson's peaches (also first of the season), south Jersey blueberries and vanilla ice cream - heaven.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment