Sunday, July 17, 2011

Panzanella: My Version

THIS is why I LOVE summer. Jersey tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, and basil cut from a pot on the deck.


 I use fresh bread - the best I can find - ciabatta or other Italian or French bread is fine. Tear it into bite size pieces. I like a bed of lettuce in the bowl - romaine or red or green leaf, (I used red leaf here) top with 1 cup torn bread, 1-2 ounces fresh mozzarella - cubed or something near that - 1 large perfectly ripe tomato cut into chunks goes on next, a couple of Calamata olives if you like - but not altogether necessary. Top with a handful of fresh basil - just cut is best - (I used purple basil here) shredded or whole - I like my leaves whole. Dress with salt, pepper, olive oil (I use just 1 tsp) and lots of good balsamic vinegar.
Delightful. MY favorite summer meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment